1 year ago
Monday, May 12, 2008
Mother's day
To all you Mothers... Have you ever been out shopping with your kids when one or more of them decide to throw a tantrum right in the middle of the store? Have you been given the "control your kids" look, or "you poor mom" look? Here's a personal story that I hope will inspire you to make another mom smile when this is happening to her... It was allowance day and Damien wanted to spend his. He's been trying to collect all the Ben 10 figures and he knew exactly which one he wanted. Riley was working so I decided to take all three kids to Target to do a little shopping. Gabriel started to get a little fussy as soon as we got there. I looked for his pacifier and realized I left it at home. We went straight back to the ben 10's where they only had 1 left and it wasn't the one he wanted. So he decided he would look for something else. I knew this would take awhile considering how indecisive Damien is. By this time Gabriel was really crying. I knew we didn't have much time before his cries got even louder and his face would turn a light shade of purple. I kept telling Damien to hurry and pick something because we had to go. 5 more minutes passed and he still hadn't picked anything out. I told him we had to go and I would take him to Walmart tomorrow to see if they had any Ben 10's. He had it in his head he was bringing a toy home today and he wasn't going to leave without one. That's when his fit started. Gabriel was crying, Damien was crying and I had to get out of there! Damien started yelling "I know what I want!" I took him back to the toys and told him "2 seconds!" He picked out a transformer and we went to pay for it. Amaya, who had been behaving so well, decided she was hungry. She started to wine and say "I'm hungry!" over and over again. By this time I was REALLY stressed out. As I was loading the kids in the car a lady, about my age, came up to me and gave me a huge hug. As she was hugging me she told me that it was okay. She's a mom of four and knows how hard it can be. As she walked away she told me happy mothers day. I can't even begin to explain how that hug from a complete stranger made me feel.l. It meant so much to me and I am sure I will never forget it.
They're cute most of the time...

7 comments:
Jess, I wish I had been there to hug you too!! I remember those days. Keep your chin up and just do your best! You have a beautiful little family. Love you!
I too am from new braunfels and a mommy. I was at Walmart the other day in the vision center. My 4 year old was playing transformers in the cart and my 7th month old (who was sound asleep) woke up. Ha! No pacifier! Crying began, I tried rocking the car sear and cart back and forth in hopes to lul him back to sleep. I couldn't go to the car because 1) it would be a total inconvience and 2) I'm in line. So i'm waiting in line, people are being way to slow for what I needed, crying continues and was getting louder and then Bumblebee's arm broke off. He was asking me over and over to fix it! Ugghhh! Too much at one time in Walmart! I finally grabbed the darn toy (actually kind of ripped it out of his little hands in frustration) snapped on the arm, grabbed the car seat and walked out. Oh the fun we have....and our Walmart doesn't make it any better. One good thing though.....I made it out without having to "look at the toys". Thanks for you blog, I enjoyed it!
Haha! Oh, Jessica! This sounds like a typical day for me, too (as you know!). I'm glad you had a little rainbow at the end of it all! Miss you guys more than you know!!!!
Wow jess that doesn't happen very often how lucky you were that day...at least for the hug. I love to hear that people are still human and their are other mothers willing to cheer us on rather than wonder why we have to be in the store with a less than perfect child. Love reading your blog and seeing pics of those darn cutties.
Oh I so know that feeling. I usually get the rude comments though. It always seems to happen in the line at costco. Glad you found someone nice, may there be more people like her
How sweet of a lady! I am going to go do that next time a kid is screaming. You are brave to take all three kids out all the time. I struggle with one! Ha! I guess I'll get my chance in the years to come. Thanks for sharing your story. You can check out the Fernandes blog at www.jjcfernandes.blogspot.com
Janielle
its good to hear from you... Mike and I wonder how some of our friends there are doing.... and by the way it looks- you are doing well. your kids are getting so big. And congrats on your new little boy. i have those "stressfull" days w/ my kids more than I should. Parker is sure a handful but its all worth it... isnt it! good to hear from you. keep in touch!
Post a Comment